Saturday, August 23, 2008

A tribute to pie!

Things around here have been pretty uneventful (which I love), leaving me an ample amount of time to snoop around and see what other people out there are doing. I have really taken a liking to reading Farm Girl Fare and Finny Knits, both are highly entertaining and have some wonderful cooking ideas. Tonight, hubby and I decided to make the tomato pie that both Farm girl and Finny made and changed a few things to make it our own. It was delicious! The crust designed by Farm Girl was the most amazing crust I think I have ever had. I highly suggest her recipe that you can click on above.









I also decided that I really needed to make a dessert pie since we all know you can never have enough pie. I had really wanted a blueberry pie with the frozen berries we had picked but i am soooo hoarding them for no apparent reason than greediness. And since strawberries were not on sale I opted for the "on sale" peaches. Gotta be frugal and all.


I experimented with with my crust once again and did add the shortening as suggested by my mother but it just wasn't perfect. In fact I had a small meltdown while rolling the dough and hubby had to come to the rescue. I did lattice the top and it turned out better than I thought it would with the dough being all stupid and all. I don't think I have ever sworn that much in the kitchen before and I seriously thought I might cry. The only thing that should make me cry in the kitchen are the onions, damnit!


Peach Filling


8-10 peaches, peeled and sliced

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 tsp cinnamon

3 tbsp flour


Other than than me swearing at the crust there were no other problems and the pie turned out very tasty. I suggest serving it warm with vanilla ice cream. Yum.



No comments: