Friday, August 15, 2008

Nothing Says Summer Like a Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

Mmmmm..... I can remember sitting in my Aunt Virgina's kitchen as a little girl staring at the cake underneath the glass cake stand. Just waiting..... I never had to ask, she knew. I would watch her remove the glass covering the cake, drooling as she placed it on my plate. More times than not, it was a pineapple-upside cake. Layers and layers of ooey-gooey goodness.


My Aunt Virgina passed away over 10 years ago taking her recipe with her and I have been on a mission to recreate her cakes for the last few years. Recently I tried a new to recreate her cake and although it was extremely good, it just wasn't hers. I had every intention of posting this recipe here but hubby threw it away! AHHH! Don't worry I will find it and post it soon.





The cake was made in my cast iron skillet which is very new to me. It was only one layer (Shame, shame on me) and was extremely moist. It just wasn't very pineapply <---- Love my made up words.


Carmelizing the brown sugar and butter.


Mmmmm.... Ready for the pineapples.


Layering the pineapple.


Ready for batter.






Pineapply goodness!

No comments: