Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Blueberry Goodness!


Yesterday I decided that since my bff, Jen, was coming over now would be the perfect time to use some of those fresh blueberries that we had picked. After realizing that I had very minimal pantry options I choose a simple blueberry pie from my "Better Homes and Gardens: New Cook Book". I don't know why its titled "New" since its from the 60's but its all I really have. I made the dough using 2 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 cup oil, pinch of salt, and about 5 tbsp water. I was a little disappointed in the flakiness of the crust but I was informed by my mom today that I should use shortening or lard from now on. I did attempt to lattice the top of the pie for my very first time and I thought it looked really good (or so I though I thought until I saw this very amazing, puts my pie to shame pie. I now feel like an underachiever. For the blueberry mixture I used 4 cups fresh blueberries, 1 cup of sugar, dash of salt, dash of nutmeg, and about 4 tbsp flour. The mixture turned out pretty good but was a little runny (exactly how the hubby likes it). I cooked it in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes. It must have been really good because it was gone before I knew it and the hubby has at least 3 helpings. My next project is going to be a two layer pineapple upside down cake but I just have to wait until there is room in the hubby's tummy.
My amazing blueberry pie.



No comments: