Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Visions of Madeleines dancing in my head

A few months ago I was probing through the vast Internet just searching away when I came across a recipe for Madeleines. Since I did not have a traditional Madeleine pan I quickly dismissed the idea that these spectacular french tea cakes would be baking in my oven anytime soon. It just so happened that I have an antique dealer friend who also does estates sale and she asked my to accompany and help her with a sale today. Guess what I found! Come on just guess....... yep, a never used Madeleine pan. And that isn't all. I also found some decorating tips for frosting and I am the proud new owner of a new cookbook. (My husband groaned but it had a lot of pictures and since we all know that I am picture kinda girl I couldn't pass it up)


The entire day at the estate sale I could not wait to get home and try baking Madeleines. And that is exactly what I did. And they were so good. My mom had one and told me how they reminded her of my grandmother's tea cakes. I used the following recipe from Cooks and they turned out great. I would, however, recommend turning the heat down to 375 so they don't get over brown.


Madeleine Recipe


4 eggs


2 c. sugar


2 c. flour


1 1/2 c. clarified butter (or Promise Spread)


1 tbsp. vanilla


Confectioners' sugar
Stir eggs and sugar into top of double boiler until creamy and lukewarm. Remove from heat and beat until cool; add flour gradually, mixing well. Fold in butter and vanilla.
Use special shell-shaped Madeline molds that have been buttered and floured (or small 1 1/2 inch muffin pans). Fill molds 2/3 full; fill muffin tins less than 1/2 full. Bake in a 425 degree oven for ten minutes or until lightly browned. Dust cooled tea cakes with powdered sugar. Yield: 5 dozen.


My $2 Madeleine find.


Look at the buttery goodness. Yum


My cake decorating find. Where were these when I need them yesterday while making Dale's birthday cake?


My new cookbook. I am sure that I will be posting adventures from here soon.

No comments: